We are no longer accepting applications for 2017.
Richmond Tree Steward classes will begin again in January with a 10 week course that is packed with information and delivered by excellent speakers. Our hope is that the room is filled with citizens who want to join our efforts to help care for the urban forest and be a community resource. Since class size is limited, preference will be given to those who wish to become Certified Tree Stewards and volunteer with our organization.
Classes meet on Tuesday evenings from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m at the Round House in Byrd Park. There is also one Saturday morning hands-on pruning class.
Requirements for becoming a certified tree steward:
- Complete the course.
- Complete 20 volunteer hours working along with experienced stewards; 1o of these hours must be pruning projects. Think of this as on the job training.
- Complete a pruning exam which is given at a tree.
- Propose and complete one project. The project does not need to be a major undertaking! A simple project will suffice and we will help you every step of the way.
To maintain certification we request at least 10 volunteer hours and 5 education hours each year.
- November 26 – Application deadline.
- December 1 – Successful applicants will be notified.
- December 30- Class fees are due. The fee for the 10 week course is $120. Information regarding payment will be sent to applicants who are accepted. Please do not send payment until you receive an acceptance e-mail.